MEMORIAL DAY 2020
The following is an excerpt of Memorial Day 2020 remarks made by Foundation President Major General Kent Hillhouse US-Army (Ret) at the Los Gatos Memorial Park Celebration. The “Join Our Community As We Honor Those Who Have Passed Before Us” in remembrance of those who’ve served program was a virtually managed program live streamed to viewers in light of COVID-19. It is visible via video replays at:
“This is a day of remembrance across the country. At 3 o’clock, 1500 hours today, we ask that you share a moment of silence today in remembrance of those who served.
Today we pause to honor the more than one million Americans who have given their last full measure of devotion to our country. These were men and women who embroiled what was important – the values and traditions of our country. They were people who understand that our country is worth fighting for.
This year marks the 76th anniversary of D-Day. We are particularly mindful of the more than 4000 Americans who died on the beaches of Normandy on 6 June 1944. They were among the 400,000 fallen in WWII. Since then, we have lost more than 100,000 other brave Americans.
These statistics are compelling and begin to capture the enormity of sacrifices.
These statistics represent the losses of sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, and good friends.
These statistics represent the children growing up without mothers and fathers.
These statistics represent lives shattered, hopes and dreams never realized.
Today we are also mindful of the men and women who continue to serve our nation. We ask that you keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
On behalf of the Veterans Memorial & Support Foundation and all veterans and their families, thank you for remembering. Also remember that nothing is wrong with combining fun with remembrances. So today, enjoy yourselves at the beach or wherever you are. Stay safe and remember that COVID-19 is still lurking around the corner.
Thank you very much.”
Major General Kent Hillhouse US-Army (Ret.)
Remarks at the Los Gatos Memorial Park Celebration
Memorial Day, 2020
Additional Celebrants at the Los Gatos Memorial Park remembrance service included:
– Nicholas Weizenbach, Managing Partner of Darling Fischer and Los Gatos Memorial Park
– Rev. Jim Clarke-Moore who will deliver the Invocation
– Larry Maggio, American Legion Commander Post 99
– National Anthem Tribute by Angela Tirado
– Santa Clara County Supervisor Dave Cortese
– City of Campbell Mayor Susan Landry
– Santa Clara County Supervisor Susan Ellenberg
– Santa Clara County Supervisor Mike Wasserman
– And Our Own Foundation President, Major General Kent Hillhouse, US Army (Retired)
Members of the Veterans Memorial & Support Foundation remember those who served. (Left to Right)
– Foundation Committee Member and Army Veteran Jack Hardin
– Advisory Board Member, Former Captain of Police – Los Gatos, and Air Force Veteran Duino Giordano
– Foundation President Major General Kent Hillhouse US Army (Ret.)
– Foundation Board Member Diane Chandler
– Foundation Secretary Stan Weitzman
– Foundation Board Member Rob Stevens
– Foundation Founder and California Guard Command Sargent Major Mike Frangadakis
– Board Advisor, Chairman Emeritus Campbell Veterans Foundation, and Navy Veteran James Free
(Photo Credit: American Patriot and Supporter Sharon Mendelson)