David Knapp has a lifetime career of serving country and community. He was the City Manager for the City of Highland Park, Illinois (2012 – ’14) where he managed a home rule city of 30,000 residents and a $95M budget. Highland Park is one of Chicago’s premiere upscale suburban communities along Lake Michigan with a vibrant downtown. Highland Park hosts the Ravinia Festival, a world-class venue for the performing arts, and is summer home to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
Silicon Valley has served both as a professional and residential base for the Knapp family. David managed the City of Cupertino, California (2000 – ’12), a city of 58,000 residents that hosted a $77M budget at the time. David served as Town Manager for the Town of Los Gatos, California (1990 – ’00) during which he was recognized by the Los Gatos Weekly Times as “Best of Los Gatos” public servant and by the San Jose Mercury News as one of the top 10 public administrators in Santa Clara County. In addition, David served as a Deputy City Manager for the City of Boulder, Colorado (1979 – ’90), an Assistant Financial Management Director for the City of San Diego (1972 – ’79), and an Assistant Director – Model Cities Department for the City of San Diego (1970 – ’71).
Prior to David’s community service, David served as Captain of the US Air Force (USAF). As Chief, Defense Systems Evaluation, David assessed the capabilities and limitations of defense systems in Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. He performed 30 unit and system-wide evaluations and management audits reporting results to the Commander – U.S. Air Forces-Europe, and the Inspector General. In addition to USAF evaluation activities, his duties included performing evaluations for and providing evaluation training to the governments of Great Britain, Germany, The Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Iran, and Greece.
As 26th NORAD Division Electronic Counter Measures Officer, David also supervised the efforts of 75 officers and NCO’s in designing and developing electronic equipment and procedures to counteract the effects of jamming on RADAR and communication systems in addition to performing systems analyses and management evaluations.
David is a Graduate of Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government Program for Senior Executives. He holds two Masters of Science degrees from the University of Southern California, in addition to having completed all required classwork for a third Masters of Public Administration degree from the San Diego State University. David holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of the South.
- Rotary International
- Silicon Valley Regional Interoperability Program Steering Committee
- El Camino Hospital Foundation Board Member, Finance Committee
- Foundation for Early Reading Intervention, Treasurer
- Regional/Urban Design Assistance Team (AIA) for Waterbury, Connecticut
- Boulder Municipal Employees Federal Credit Union, Past Member Board of Directors and Treasurer
- League of California Cities Revenue and Taxation Committee
- Colorado Municipal League, Finance Committee, Urban Issues Committee
- Colorado Regulatory Reform Committee
- Santa Clara County City Managers Association, Past President
- University of California, San Diego; Management Institute Planning Committee, Past Chair
- Santa Clara County Welfare Reform Oversight Committee
- Boulder County United Way, Chair of the Board of Trustees, Chair of the nominations Committee, Treasurer
- Community Food Share, Member Board of Directors
- Institute for Environmental Solutions, Founding Member, Board of Directors
- Pi Alpha Alpha, Society of Public Administrators (Honorary), Charter Member of Local Chapter
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
and transform lives for America’s heroes. Every single penny contributes to delivering the honor, respect gratitude and healing to those who’ve defended America’s freedom.